Friday, October 26, 2007

A new twist on cornbread

Got another easy recipe for you all to try! (I know, I know ~ seems that's all I've been posting about lately!)

This one is called Corn Bread Cake. It's not as grainy as regular corn bread and I think that's why I like it so much. The recipe is from a book called "Miserly Meals" by Jonni McCoy. I would encourage you to take a look at it ~ the book is packed full of easy, delicious, reasonably priced recipes.

CORN BREAD CAKE

1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 (9 oz) box Jiffy yellow cake mix
4 egg whites (or 2 eggs)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water

Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until well blended, but don't overmix.
Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Evenly distribute the batter in the pan. Bake @ 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife passes the "toothpick test".

*Note: This recipe can be baked into muffins if you prefer. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Fill them half full. Bake @ 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until they test done with a toothpick.


I usually serve this with chili. Last night was our Life Group for church and this is what I brought. The menu was chili, cornbread cake, French bread, tossed salad, a veggie tray and assorted desserts. Everything was so nice ~ the food, the great message, and connecting with others. It was a wonderful evening!

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Im so happy your enjoying the life group :)
    The cornbread cake sounds yummy. I'll let ya know when I make it :)
    Love C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got her book, and love it! This sounds good, as we love it with chili too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THe cornbread sounds yummy.
    Your Life group sounds fun. Fellowship is so important .
    HAve aBlessed weekend.
    Blessins',
    Lib

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I always make cornbread with my chili. I would have never thought to mix it with cake mix. I can't wait to try this! I'll let you know when I do :o)

    Hope you have a fantastic week!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each and every single one of you who stops by for a visit...thank you! Please leave me a comment...I really love hearing from you :)